Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Sunday, December 5, 2010

"Science Fair" - another YouTube PODcast from the Carnegie

I realized that the "Science Fair" PODcast interview had never been posted by the Carnegie. I, of course, have neither direct access to these interviews nor the skills to post them myself so I do thank Karen for adding another bit to their publicity grist mill. Either do a Susan Gorsen search (isn't that amazing!!!!) or search Carnegie Center for Art and History and you'll find all the PODcasts. Yes, I know I sound like Brenda Vaccarro........

Yesterday I attended a monthly morning program at the Carnegie relating to and presented by artists with disabilities of one sort or another. This particular artist has had about as many challenges as one person can handle yet she manages with grace and a sense of humor to maintain her dignity, her creativity and her artistic output. Unfortunately the weather here yesterdy morning was a snowy, slushy, semi-frozen disaster and KY drivers were in a typical panic mode. The drive over was harrowing to say the least  -  and I'm not someone bothered by this stuff  but was way bothered by the complete incompetence of other drivers going way too fast for the road consitions..... Needless to say we made it safe and sound but I was definitely glad to be the driver and not the passengers!! It was all worth it because of this artist's very moving presentation, only attended by 7 brave souls but we 7 paid rapt attention.

Today I went to an art opening with my 8 year old granddaughter Sara, who is my art show buddy. The small exhibit was quite nice and I was thrilled to see my friend CJ's mother Naomi (age 87 or 88 I think) had 3 absolutely delightful small paintings in this very tightly juried show. When I congratulated her she asked me if there were any "professional" artists in the show. I only knew on 1, a young man just beginning his career, but the others were for the most part unknown to me. She said that being accepted into the show where "professionals" were hung with her was just the most wonderful thing ever. Now this woman has been painting off and on her entire life. It's not the first time her work has been exhibited. She has a lovely expressive sense of painterly realism and stong compositional skills. The fact that she's still making paintings and still enjoying her own creative adventures at her age is a fabulous thing. The fact that she was once a student of mine just touches my heart.... Way to go Naomi!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment