Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

let there be artwork.... I congratulate myself

My friend Tim Maloney said it was definitely possible for me to figure out how to upload photos of my artwork onto this site. He's a certified genius in my book and someone who has been designing graphics for his own businesses for years and years. I, on the other hand, am still intimidated by computers (this laptop is named "Grammie's Challenge"  -  got the picture?) and I regard those who are fluent in their language as members of some secret society. But Tim assured me that the clever people at Google were ready to deal with ignorant users like moi and had made the photo upload process all but idiot proof. He was right; nothing much new on that front. But the point is that my blog now includes images of some 2010 work for all the world to see. Now the challenge is getting the world to know I exist!! This may well be a "Field of Dreams" scenario.... if I build it "they" will come. One thing is certain; if I don't build it they are far less likely to find me or my work.

There's something very different about learning a new skill at age 63 from learning 40 years earlier. I think it has to do with bravery of the spirit becoming a less elastic entity with age. I have no doubt that with age comes wisdom. There's nothing like life experiences to temper our impulsivity and make for more juducious thoughts before actions. But it feels like there might be a flip side to some of that.... call it the emerging wimp factor. I'm just not as fearless as I think I used to be about trying new things of any kind  -  except food. all I know is that my pulse was literally racing while I was first taking baby steps to navigate how to add a picture here. But with each small success I found my anxiety level easing more and more. Now does this mean I'm brave enough today to figure out how to add images from another source/ No. But I am brave enough to believe I'll even be able to figure out that task as well.

So I congratulate myself on what feels like a major acccomplishment. It's like a subatomic particle for people like Tim and my Belfast friend Ian Fleming. But I feel like a Nobel laureate in technology right about now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment