Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

family times

I am having a bit of trouble reconciling the fact that I am the mother of a 36 year old woman who has 3 children of her own. How has time managed to evaporate so completely? A 10pm on November 20, 1975 I got a phone call from my brother-in-law. The call itself was somewhat odd since he seldom called. More unusual and entirely unexpected was his conversation after I said "hello".......... "Susan, this is Mel. Do you and Frank still want a baby?" You have to admit that in all sorts of imagined conversational openers, that has to take top honors for uniqueness. But after years of dehumanizing toxic unsuccessful infertility treatments, such a question seemed no more bizarre than the treatments themselves (which I had discontinued 6 weeks earlier). Each year on November 19 we celebrate Starr Catherine Gorsen Crafton's birthday because that is the date she was born. I tend to hold November 23 as sacred since that is when we first met her. Regardless of the date I still find it amazing that so much time has passed since then. The blessing of having Starr in my life only increases with the years.....

No comments:

Post a Comment