Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Saturday, December 3, 2011

teaching

At breakfast Thursday morning I got into a conversation with 2 previously unknown women artists. They mentioned taking classes and just hearing that I realized how much I miss teaching, especially with adults. In addition to sharing my own knowledge and expertise I recognize the fact that I miss the exchange of information that arises form teaching. I miss learning the unexpected from students.

I told these women that if they had any interest in a composition/design course that I'd be happy to work with them. I mentioned my preference for colored pencils and watercolor crayons so as not to get bogged down with painting techniques. This seemed to interest them. But mainly they were interested in learning composition, something I feel equally comfortable explaining as when I speak about color. I have no idea why something I view as an essential skill is so often left out of classes. I look at paintings by people who have learned a specific method of replicating a photograph and have managed to conquer a painting technique or 2 and all I can focus on is their weak design and composition, their poor use of negative space in support of the picture's theme elements. Decent technique, lots of hours and they want to know why their picture just isn't quite "right".

So I hope to hear back from these 2 women that they have found a 3rd person interested in studying composition and basic design. If this develops I doubt anything will happen until after the holidays but I certainly hope something will happen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan, I would love to have a heads up if this class becomes a reality. I met you at the Carnegie when you were giving at artist talk and do love your work. I'm a mixed media textile artist and find that composition and design are just on-going issues for me. I can be reached at seamless_skin at yahoo.

    ReplyDelete