Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Friday, January 20, 2012

progress comes inch by inch

My dad used to say that the hardest force to overcome in nature was inertia. After far too many years out of the classroom I finally have the opportunity to teach 2 series of workshops at the Speed Art Museum. Aside from being an Artist in Residence these sorts of classes are my favorites. They are informal, fairly brief and completely recreational for the participants. The most important thing however is finally connecting with the museum's Education Department. I hope to sell them on my Art Play for Seniors idea. It would work much better with them serving as host for a series of 4-6 once a month sessions than for me to travel from one senior center to another dragging materials with me everywhere, do all the set up and clean up, manage the promotion and money plus pay for all supplies out of my fees. Baby steps. I think this is a concept whose time has finally arrived. Working at the Speed and hopefully impressing them by my versatility as an artist/teacher seems like the perfect nudge to overcome this particular inertia.

No comments:

Post a Comment