Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Thursday, January 12, 2012

snow in the air at last

I hope tomorrow is a sunny day. I absolutely love working in the studio when the sun is shining on snow in the back yard. I bought this house 24 years ago because the back yard could be made totally private like a park. I've lost more than a few big trees through the years but the planting I have done gives me complete privacy in a natural setting. The studio windows face due north and the land slopes slightly upward toward the back of the lot where enormous white pine trees mark the property line separating me from my neighbor. When there is snow on the ground the reflected light is so clean and so pure that colors in the studio literally sing in front of me. There is something magical about winter light. I have studio lights of course. They are supposed to replicate daylight at noon in December. All I know is that when I work at night there are no color shifts to deal with the following morning. But since it was gray and icy and snowy most of today I hope the sun shines tomorrow. The studio is calling me.......

No comments:

Post a Comment