Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Friday, January 27, 2012

thank goodness for collectors

I am fortunate enough to have several people who have actively collected my work for a number of years. As an artist it's amazingly gratifying to learn the art I create repeatedly connects with certain viewers. Obviously it's even better when these people care enough about the work to want to live with it on a daily basis. Thus I was delighted to hear from an old dear friend yesterday who owns 7-8 of my drawings and probably 3-4 pieces of clay. This man is a fairly high level executive with a major corporation. He was telling me that despite amassing an enormous corporate collection over the last 40 years the company eliminated their curator position 3 years ago and downsized the collection by about 20%. As an employee her was able to buy several pieces he'd admired for years for very little money. I told him how pleased I was that he managed to get such bargains. But I also told him I thought those artists would cringe upon learning their meagre sales prices on the secondary market. Fortunately for me he also let me know he wanted to purchase a print of something he had seen here during a studio visit 8 months ago. Happy news indeed. Now I need to rethink the whole idea of limited edition digital prints of my drawings.....

No comments:

Post a Comment