Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

how to proceed and move forward

It's been 3 weeks since I brought work home from my Carnegie exhibit and I am no closer to knowing what to do with these 15 new pieces than I was 3 weeks ago. The dilemma with local representation is every bit as great as that with representation out of state. I know this site isn't working for me yet and need to address that issue as well. Maybe it's possible to create workable links that will actually lead to greater exposure but I don't know how to accomplish that. But I will learn.

It seems to me that applying to a series of juried shows is way too expensive a venture than such a path was 30 years ago when I was first exploring the possibility of having a career. Then an organization called Artists' Equity was very active in Philadelphia and their strong policy was for professional artists to boycott all juried shows with entry fees. Today so many more organizations pay for their entire exhibitions on these artists' entry fees that it is nearly impossible to find serious exhibition venues without rather ridiculous entry fees.

I wish there were some sort of central clearing house with a list of submission review schedules for university and non-profit galleries. That's great for resume building but seldom leads to serious sales. On the other hand one never knows who will see such exhibitions so it's smart to pursue those sorts of possibilities. With so many artists working and so many galleries closing on a weekly basis I have to wonder if the trend will be entirely from online sales and individual open studio galleries.

Meanwhile I still have artwork stacked against the back of the living room sofa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment