Second Decade + 2

Second Decade + 2
oil pastel 32x52"

Monday, January 3, 2011

what's next?

So today is the day I take down my show at the Carnegie. This is usually a bittersweet moment for me but this particular exhibition has been so wonderful that I almost feel guilty wanting it to stay up any longer. I have had something like 21 or 22 solo exhbitions since 1983 and none has involved a more dedicated or professional staff than this. As someone out of the art world for a number of years, this "rebirth" through the Carnegie has just been a superb experience for me. I got wonderful feedback about the exhibit, the gallery talks and the workshops. Speaking of workshops, my "by special request" 2nd adults' workshop last Wednesday had 16 people and was great fun. I'd definitely like to do more teaching of this sort.

But my question now that it's over and a new exhibit will open Friday is ...... What do I do from here? I have 15 new pieces all framed with nowhere to go and no clue as to how I should proceed. Do I look for traditional gallery representation? Do I look for exhibits on college campuses and in non-profit spaces? do I investigate selling online somehow? No matter how many artists I speak with the answer remains unclear. It's a new world for artists, for commercial galleries, for alternative exhibition spaces. I guess the answer is to simply keep asking questions, try anything that seems the least bit promising and be open minded about outside the box suggestions. Not exactly an optimistic way to think about paying bills.

The best thing may well be to apply for some residencies and hope I'll be able to make new bodies of work that might have broader appeal because of the travel involved. The idea of spending 7 hours on a transAtlantic flight crammed in like a sardine isn't a very appealing choice, despite what I know would be amazingly pleasurable experiences after landing..... The UNiverse will no doubnt push me in one direction or another if I remain alert for the clues. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment